November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving Greetings!

One of my favorite days of the year is Thanksgiving - a uniquely American holiday celebrated by everyone regardless of religion or region or race.  While the rest of the world is slogging through another November Thursday, Americans are enjoying a holiday that is focused on friends, family and feasting!

Two "Pilgrims" Riding a Turkey Float

Of course the turkey dinner is the centerpiece of most Thanksgivings, but many start the day off with another great American tradition - the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!  2016 marked the 90th Anniversary of this wonderful event which begins its track on 77th Street and Central Park West and passes quite close to where I live.  This morning, as I have for the past 19 Thanksgiving mornings, I joined the approximately three million other spectators who lined the parade route to cheer the floats and bands and especially the humongous helium balloons for which the parade is famous.

Charlie Brown

Fortunately the weather forecasters' predictions of rain showers did not come true, but the sky was overcast and the temperature a chilly 44 degrees.
Some of the balloon characters were familiar to all...

Ronald McDonald
Some less so...

Hello Kitty

Some I had to rely on the children in the group to identify...

Wimpy Kid

And some I still don't recognize!

???

One of the highlights for me was the New York City Police Department Marching Band...

And their balloon mascot...

I wasn't the only one who loved this band...a police officer proposed to his girlfriend on the street right in front of me!  He got down on bended knee, and fortunately she said "yes"!!!

Everybody seemed to be having a great time - especially this young man in his turkey hat!

In the spirit of this great American holiday, I'd like to wish my wonderful readers a very Happy Thanksgiving.  May your feast be blessed with friends, family and good fortune.

No comments: